Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Bike Life

Since buying my Giant Seek 2 off a guy in Thornton last Saturday (for an excellent price), I've started to really curb my driving habits. More specifically, I haven't been driving my car. It's just been sitting in the parking lot of the Red Rocks Apartments in Lakewood where I live now.

The decision to leave my job caused me to evaluate my expenses vs income (zero right now) and I figured one of the largest costs I have is "The Premier", aka my 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Premier. That vehicle served me well for over two years, was the nicest I have ever owned, and also the most expensive. It's amazing what it really costs to keep those four wheels rollin', what with the initial purchase, interest on loan payments, gas, maintenance, and registration. Thank you Bill Ritter for increased Colorado vehicle registration taxes, by the way.

Now I haven't sold my car just yet, I'm in kind of a holding pattern. But I've made a point to not drive it, so I can get used to not having it at all. This rad bike has truly become my commuter...


















Even though I've moved to Lakewood, being in downtown Denver is both fun and necessary for me. I have stuff to do that requires me to be there. Therefore, I've been riding the bike from the Lakewood apartment to downtown.

I did this on Monday, May 3rd without much idea of the distance or change in elevation. But thanks to my new iPhone and an app/website called iMap My Ride (http://www.mapmyride.com) I could track this first outing with the iPhone's GPS. Blasting down the 'Fax was actually a lot of fun and seemed fast despite the frequent stopping for traffic lights and almost being annihilated by RTD bus drivers. I got to downtown, swung by the flagship REI store, and posted up there for a solid 2 hours.  I had to buy the SKS Beavertail Fenders  which you can see on the bike, and some reflectors for night time riding. I settled on the super simple CatEye Loop (http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/577) and bought two.

After REI, I boogied to the old Denver house to check mail, and say what's up to old roommates. Then I had to discover what it was like to ride the 'Fax from downtown back to Lakewood. Hardly as mellow as the ride in to Denver. The grade was a gradual uphill over 11-12 miles. It spanked me that first time. You can see the results of this first trip at my other blog posts here:

TO DENVER - http://www.mapmyride.com/view_workout?w=784127290141554005
FROM DENVER - http://www.mapmyride.com/view_workout?w=306127291975935236

Arriving back to the apartment, I knew that the "bike life" was going to be challenging and time-consuming. But the payoff felt great because for as much weight lifting as I do, I seldom do cardio exercise. I can see myself really enjoying my bike and using it (maybe) daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment